Saturday, May 28, 2011

Genogram Project Reflection

The genogram project was an exercise in self-discovery for me.  To see the career choices of my family members on paper was very enlightening. I have always recognized that families mold individuals through values and attitudes. Through this assignment, I realized just how influential one's family can be on their interests and professional pursuits.

One thing that really struck me was the influence my grandparents had on the career choices of their children. On my father's side of the family, every male has pursued a career in or related to agriculture. Until this assignment, I never really connected the choices my uncles and male cousins made in choosing farming as a career to the influence of previous generations. On my mother's side of the family, my grandfather was a farmer as well. He later left farming to become a truck driver. My uncle also chose to become a farmer, and later, to become a truck driver. Clearly, the pursuits of our parents impact our own career choices!

On both sides of my family, my grandmothers and aunts have chosen to become homemakers and focus their work on caring for and rearing their children. Both of my sisters have chosen this path as well. Clearly, there are gender-related patterns on both sides of my family. After their children were grown, many of my aunts and my mother chose to work outside of the home, and they have all excelled in their chosen fields.

Regardless of the gender patterns, both sides of my family have always emphasized the importance of hard work, taking pride in what one does, caring about others, and finding happiness in your chosen profession. Although I have chosen to be an exception to the traditional choice of being a homemaker, I have been influenced by these values in my chosen profession. I believe that my decision to become an educator resulted in part from the inherited desire to positively impact others. In addition, I believe that I was influenced by the great respect for educators and learning that was always exhibited by my family members.

Finally, I believe these same values have influenced my desire to become a school counselor. Also, I think that the courage to try something new is inherited from my parents. After farming for about 35 years, my father had the courage to change his path. He is now an insurance agent, and he loves working with and helping people. Similarly, after almost 30 years as a homemaker, my mother bought and ran her own business successfully. Eventually she sold her business and now works in a bank. I have always respected my parents for showing me that it is never too late to try something new! I believe that through their example, they instilled the confidence in me to pursue my goal of becoming a school counselor. 

To view my genogram, click on the following link:  My Genogram

5 comments:

  1. The family on my mother's side had that same pattern of being homemakers. If only it had been an area in which you could major in college! The college degrees that were received (including mine) were encouraged as a "back up plan", which I certainly ended up using.

    I wish my mother would have had the courage to go back to school and get her degree. She would be such a great teacher. I think it is admiral that your parents both had the courage to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family also had a pattern as being farmers. However, my dad and uncles decided not to have farming as their main source of income. They have all encouraged my generation to do more and get a college education. There was never a question of not doing getting on.

    I also wish that my mother would go back to school and finish her college degree. She started her associates and is only 8 hours away, and now that is retired she would have the time.

    Medesa Rodriguez-Lamar student

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great insights! I love that if parents can change careers, so can students. You will be able to give encouragement to students who may be frightened about the future. Thanks, Dr. H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I’m Martin Reed,if you are ready to get a loan contact.Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@outlook.com ,WhatsApp:+1 989-394-3740 I’m giving credit to his Service .They grant me the sum 2,000,000.00 Euro. within 5 working days.Mr Benjamin work with  group investors into pure loan and debt financing at the  returns of 1.9% to pay off your bills or buy a home Or Increase your Business. please I advise everyone out there who are in need of loan and can be reliable, trusted and capable of repaying back at the due time of funds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now own a business of my own with the help of Elegantloanfirm with a loan of $900,000.00 USD. at 2% rate charges, at first i taught with was all a joke until my loan request was  process under five working days and my requested funds was transfer to me. am now a proud owner of a large business with 15 staffs working under me. All thanks to the loan officer Russ Harry he is a God sent, you can contact them to improve your business on.. email-- Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com. / Whatsapp number +393511617486

    ReplyDelete